Monday, April 12, 2010

Orangutan Crab

One interesting critter commonly found in Bunaken or Lembeh is the Orangutan Crab (Achaeus japonicus) probably named so because it has red hair covering it's body like the jungle primate. I never really had much interest in this crab until my last trip in Lembeh when I came across this crab and doing what appears to be picking stuff off it's hairy filaments and eating them...much like picking one's nose and..... oh nevermind.

So I guess here's how it feeds. It uses it's hind legs to secure itself to some sponge or tunicate in the current.

It lets passing debri or stuff get caught in it's red hairy filaments....

It proceeds to pick the stuff out..

and more picking...

Then it feeds on it...yum yum!

For a clearer view of it's red hairy strands here's a shot of it on some sponge coral.

I guess this one wasn't hungry.

No comments: